Hotel Occupancy Tax

Hotel Occupancy Tax & Short Term Rental Permit

A "hotel" is any building in which members of the public obtain sleeping accommodations for consideration. The term includes, but is not limited to a:

- Hotel
- Motel
- Short Term Rental
- Bed and Breakfast (B&B)

The term does not include hospitals, sanitariums, or nursing homes; or a dormitory or other housing facility owned or leased and operated by an institution of higher education, or a private or independent institution of higher education.

Every person owning, operating, managing or controlling any hotel, motel, short term rental, or Bed and Breakfast shall collect the tax imposed, complete a Hotel Occupancy Tax Report and remit both to the City. A Hotel Occupancy Tax Report must be filed for each calendar month even if there are no Taxable Room Receipts.

The City Council has passed Ordinance 2021-01-01 regarding Short Term Rentals within the City of Alpine. This ordinance requires Short Term Rental (STR) Operators to obtain a permit from the City. Please review the permitting process and helpful information below. Any questions may be directed to Geo Calderon at or at (432) 837-3301 x 1. 

Short Term Rentals & Hotel Occupancy Tax - Generally

Short Term Rental Permit - How to Obtain your Permit

How to Pay HOT & HOT Reporting Form

Annual Permit Renewal


Retention of Records

HOT Ordinances